Dirty Secrets About Your Bottled Water and Why You Should Stop Buying It
Companies that sell us “artesian” and “spring” water are full of it. Aside from the fact that companies like Nestle literally rape the public’s water supply and then sell it back to us at astronomical prices, there are other questions we should be asking ourselves about our bottled water habits.
- Are you spending 280,000 times the money on drinking water than you could be? That’s the average mark-up for designer water. As a comparison, let’s say you dropped $182,425 on a Ferrari. That’s a lot of dough. Most of us wouldn’t even imagine paying that much for a car. Comparatively, though, the price you are paying for your bottled would be the equivalent of paying $51,079,000,000 for the same Ferrari. I hope it’s made of gold, and can take you to the moon and back.
- Are you drinking glorified tap water, full of toxic junk, that is bottled, and resold to you at a 1000+ percent mark-up? Most tap water isn’t fit to flush excrement, let alone drink.
- Do you contribute to the 5 million tons of plastic trash that ends up in our oceans by continuing your bottled-water habit? Our ocean life – from birds to fish to seal lions – are absolutely choking on plastic trash.
Many people don’t realize that most bottled water isn’t heavenly artesian or pristine spring water at all, but “purified” tap water that contains:
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Birth control
- Bacteria and viruses
- Heavy metals like Aluminum, a serious neurotoxin
- Chromium 6
- Radioactive materials
- Prescription drugs
- Disinfection byproducts
- and a host of other substances known to cause diseases after long term exposure
Even if you’re buying your bottled water bulk at Cost-Co and paying around .39 cents per bottle, you’re still paying around $600 a year for a family of four to drink something that you could purify yourself and get for about $120 – not to mention that there are home water purifying systems that are crazy cheap and even get rid of things like fluoride.
If you’ve ditched your soda habit and stopped filling the billionaire’s coffers at Pepsi and Coca-Cola, you’ve only won half the battle. Though drinking water is much healthier for you than sugar-laden soda, the Aquafina and Dasani brands of Pepsi and Coke are just the next way to make you sick, and empty your wallet.
Pepsi finally admitted that Aquafina is just tap water (the same water that fills our toilet bowls) – which means it could contain any of the aforementioned toxic additive, though the company claims to use a rigorous 7-step filtration and purification process called HydRO-7.
This doesn’t really matter, though, because when you purchase Aquafina water from your grocery store that has been sitting in no. 1 PET plastics (Polyethylene terephthalate), you are drinking something which can lead to liver problems, reproductive failure, and even cancer. Water that sits in those bottles leaches out the toxins in the plastic which contains it.
Still, Aquafina is just one example. there are 12 other water brands which contain neurotoxic levels of fluoride, and other health-damaging ingredients.
This brings us to the macrocosmic issue, now that we’ve addressed how bad bottled water is for your physical and financial health. Bottled water is horrible for the environment.
That plastic water bottle you just drank from and tossed in ten seconds is on its way to the Arctic Ocean, or the Pacific, or the Atlantic.
Micro-sized plastic bits from your water bottle end up in the stomachs of blue whales, fish, and even plankton.
If you’re thirsty – try a reusable, home-purified, non-plastic water container. Bring it with you everywhere. Now that you know the dirty secrets of the bottled water industry, you can dissolve their “artesian” mirage.
Featured image source